I had a pair of shorts that were fairly low-rise and were too tight on my hips. I decided to turn them into a skirt! As a skirt, I’d be able to wear the item a bit higher on my waist, and therefore it wouldn’t be too tight.
So here are the shorts, pinching my hips uncomfortably…
Now this is a bit confusing because these next two pictures are of a different pair of pants I was attempting to do this same transitions with… It didn’t work out (sometimes too tight just means too tight) but these images will help guide us through the next two steps.
First cut open the leg seams all the way through the crotch and down the other leg. Turn your shorts or pants inside out and lay flat with “legs” together.
Draw a guide line smoothing out the curve of the rump and the little point on the… ahem… crotchal region. Sew down the line and down the pant leg.
Try on your tube (it may be super snug) and find out where you’ll want the hem to be. Cut the skirt to desired length. Go back and reinforce seam stitches.
If you want, you can hem the skirt with a blind-stitch or top-stitching, but I chose to let mine fray.
And yes, this was too tight to be functional – as someone who is often running and chasing and wrestling little boys. So I added some little “pleats” into the sides. I slipped some scrap fabric behind a slit in the sides and top-stitched the triangles into place. I didn’t turn the fabric under here, because I was cool with the frayed/raw look.
And then in the back, I cut a little slit and turned the edges under, top-stitching in place.
Now it is a very comfortable skirt!
Social media, doing its thing. My friend Abbey pinned this quilt, also found HERE, and bing bang boom, I was commissioned to make a pair of blankets for her two adorable boys.
I used primarily Riley Blake fabrics. I was so happy to find the Peak Hour fabric line, as it saved me from having to come up with car appliques on my own. Instead, I used my method of sewing the outline of the car to a piece of muslin, right sides together. Then you cut a slit in the muslin, turn the car right-side out, and then trim the muslin to just a quarter-inch seam allowance. Then you can applique the car onto the quilt-top! First I did hand-stitching, but then I top-stitched the cars on by machine for added security. When I was quilting the blanket, I added some quilting to the window of the car for even additional security.
I did double binding. I love the framing effect, and it’s a nice way to make machine-stitching the binding look attractive.
Abbey’s family just moved back into their home after a year away. Their house had extensive, heart-breaking damage due to a terrible flood (like – seven feet of standing water kinda terrible), but her husband and their family and friends resurrected their place and things are looking bright! Hope these quilts bring smiles to a family that has endured a lot, and deserves a break!
Filed under Kids, Quilting
Made another Sorbetto tank top just in time for the Fourth!
I started off with the FREE PATTERN, added about four inches in length. Then I moved the bust darts – aiming them about .75 inches lower at the tip and moving that tip in .75 inches close to the side-seam. Then I added back darts. Then I added rick-rack to the bottom.
Instead of quilting cotton (which, as it turns out, is not so great for clothing – says the sweat monster) – I made this one out of a bizarre poly-rayon from the “Linen-Like” aisle. It has a decent drape and doesn’t wrinkle easily. Sold.
My friend said it’s got a touch of Mad Men flare to it – Sounds good to me! Clink!